[lug] DNS lookup on local network

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Dec 22 12:51:59 MST 2006

Kenneth D. Weinert wrote:

> I'm sure this has been done millions of times before.
>
> Since my Linksys BEFSR41v4 router is set up to do dynamic DNS for the
> inside network, what is the established way of getting to its table of
> assigned addresses? IE, basically local DNS.

I would think that it would give out its address as the DNS server in
its DHCPOFFER, and function as a DNS cache as well.

Are you sure that its DDNS is for the inside machines?  The users' guide
doesn't mention that, nor being a DNS cache.  It does mention keeping
your public IP updated in a couple of dynamic DNS services.

Dave