[lug] figuring out name servers

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Mon Dec 25 15:42:53 MST 2006

I'm trying to set up a public server with a routable IP address, via a
domain at godaddy.com. Unfortunately, it wants a name for the name
server, but the server is its own name server running bind, and no
matter what I do, listing the dotted decimal IP addresses shows as an
error. I see a "which came first, the chicken or the egg" dilemma
here...if I give a name server name (not dotted decimal address) to
godaddy.com, how do they know the IP of the name server? In this case
the name server and actual machine being pointed at are the same thing.
It also seems to mandate two name servers, but I have only 1...I can
give it two aliases for the same IP, e.g., ns1 and ns2...but still it'll
reject it since those names don't yet exist...I guess I'm trying to make
them exist. How is it possible to create a new name server through
someone like godaddy.com without having a previously registered dns server?

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net