[lug] figuring out name servers

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Dec 25 19:11:29 MST 2006

D. Stimits wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a public server with a routable IP address, via a
> domain at godaddy.com. Unfortunately, it wants a name for the name
> server, but the server is its own name server running bind, and no
> matter what I do, listing the dotted decimal IP addresses shows as an
> error.

I recommend Cricket's book if you're running a public name server.  Or
any public server for that matter (you'll depend on DNS so understanding
it can save you time knowing who to call when it has problems).

In this case it would help you understand why godaddy wants the info so
you can understand what to give them.  They need the name server name
for the NS record.  And since it's in the domain it services they'll
need a glue record too.  It doesn't matter whether name or IP are in use
anywhere yet.

Dave