[lug] Installing with LSI controller

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Dec 26 18:09:46 MST 2006

Gary Hodges wrote:

> I'm trying to install Etch on a machine with a LSI21320RB (53c1030)
> SCSI controller.  The Etch installer doesn't appear to support this.
>
> How do I make a driver floppy?  Best I can tell I need the mptscsih
> and mptbase drivers (modules?).  Can I just copy files to a floppy
> (note that I tried this without success) or is there a formal process?

In the past for some drivers I've done a simple copy, but of course the
module itself must be compiled for the exact kernel version that you are
installing from. Building it against the kernel from the installer might
be the hard part. I've also seen bugs where it'll try to find md devices
for raid before it loads controller modules...in that case you have to
install with a different controller, build in the support, then migrate
over to the new controller.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net