[lug] postfix aliases, best practices?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Wed Dec 27 14:59:31 MST 2006

In setting up postfix on a machine where sendmail was removed that it
still uses /etc/aliases. Inside of that are a large number of user
aliases listed, e.g., nobody, ftp, lp. Certain accounts are probably
mandatory either directly or via an alias, I'm wondering if anyone can
add to this list:
abuse
hostmaster
postmaster

A lot of the others probably are not needed, and *should* result in
bounces, not blanket redirect to some alias, e.g., if someone sends to
"nobody", it shouldn't be aliased to forward to a real person, it's
probably just being tested. During the first couple of days of bringing
up a new machine, I've seen every single one of the accounts from system
services (such as those listed in /etc/aliases, but not just from there)
being blindly tested for ssh cracking purposes (as a result several
domains from Korea and China were summarily banned by firewall). It
seems that having these accounts present just adds a way for spammers
and others to test the system for problems. So, I'd like to get rid of
all of the aliases from the /etc/aliases file which are not really
needed. I don't believe root is needed, but some of the local software
might email to that, but I don't believe anyone from outside of
localhost should be able to reach email to root.

So an example of accounts I've already ripped out are:
marketing
sales

Are there any suggestions on email account names to rip out and not do
any kind of alias on, to summarily reject it with a no such user reply?

Are there any suggestions on email account names that do not appear to
be useful, other than non-valiad purposes, which really should be kept
(e.g., maybe there really is a reason why lp or mysql should have the
ability to be emailed)? My intent is to rip out as many as I can which I
know will not be of use, and to which the public should not be sending
email to.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net