[lug] postfix aliases, best practices?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Wed Dec 27 19:39:48 MST 2006

D. Stimits wrote:
> bgiles at coyotesong.com wrote:
>
>> Just to be clear, I'm referring to (internal only?) redirect to a common
>> account, not separate queues.  I don't think any processes actually send
>> mail to any account other than 'root', but it's cheap insurance.
>>
> Hmm...so then is there some sort of security issue solved by having
> aliases for all of the system accounts which redirect to a real user?

If cron produces output it will send mail to the owner of the job.  That
should wind up at a real person and that is why all accounts that don't
(shouldn't) have a mail spool have an alias.  Even if you don't think
any crons run under a user, will you remember to add an alias if a cron
gets added?

Dave