[lug] dovecot/PAM mix

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Dec 31 18:48:14 MST 2006

D. Stimits wrote:

> It seems that dovecot does not support encrypted auth on linux via the
> basic out-of-the-box settings, due to using PAM, and PAM not
> supporting those auth methods (so really it's a PAM limit). Several
> options seem to exist, including postgresql, but some of the earlier
> comments about simplicity and recovery make the file option seem best.
> Would the separate password file be the simple route? I'm not sure how
> to maintain passwords in such a file, but all of the users involved
> have real system accounts already via /etc/passwd, perhaps there's a
> way to migrate or automate this?

Just adding some info...I've upgraded it to the latest v. 1, and have it
set to use passwd-file, generating the password via dovecotpw. I set
mechanisms = "cram-md5 digest-md5", "protocols = imaps".

Mozilla still will not allow me to try to log in with secure auth only
setting, it tells me that the imap server does not support secure auth.
Anything anyone might suggest to test? auth_verbose is not helping, all
I get is
dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected: rip=yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy,
lip=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx, TLS
(actual IP's changed)

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net