[lug] Mutt 1.4.2.2i and Vim 7.0 Not Getting Along

Bill Thoen bthoen at gisnet.com
Mon Jan 1 08:21:38 MST 2007

I've been using mutt with vim as the editor but after upgrading my Fedora
Core system from version 5 to 6 I've been having a problem with weird
escape codes appearing in the text as I compose mail messages. I now have
VIM 7.0 and mutt 1.4.2.2i.

Here's what new messages look like at their worst:

30}'e82}%;2mFrom: Bill Thoen 30}&e82}%;1m<bthoen at gisnet.com>
30}'e82}%;2mTo: Bill Thoen 30}&e82}%;1m<bthoen at www.gisnet.com>
30}'e82}%;2mCc:
Bcc:
30}(e82}%;3mSubject: Test
30}'e82}%;2mReply-To:

Testing parentheses (0}+e92}%;6m(d codes when parens are closed)
)
30})e82}%;4m~

I can clear up most of the garbage with :syntax off, but I'm still having
trouble when I complete a parenthetical phrase. As soon as I type the
closing parentheses or bracket, the cursor jumps to the opening parentheses
and dumps some garbage in the display. So the problem is more than just the
syntax setting, and I'd like to get to the root of it.

So why are these escape codes appearing in the text and no longer smoothly
changing text colors, and how do I fix it? I've started to look at "syntax
files" in the vim docs but that seems like rather a lot of deep lore to wade
through just to fix this one little problem. And I'm not even sure that's
the right track to pursue.

If anyone could offer any help with this I'd really appreciate it.

TIA,

- Bill Thoen