[lug] odd postfix message...relay attempt?

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jan 2 19:48:57 MST 2007

>>postfix/sendmail[2868]: fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local
>>interface found for 216.239.113.148
>>postfix[2869]: fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 216.239.113.148

FYI, no interface has ever been configured even remotely similar to the
216 address, although it does have 3 interfaces, and for part of the
time it was just pointed at one of them. The last time this showed up
was several days ago, it has not shown up since, and I have done some
changes since then. I just wonder how it got that IP unless it was a
result of some remote trigger.

>It looks like postfix believes it should go and use that IP to bind
>to.  Could you post "postconf -n"?  Do you have any other error
>messages?

I'm changing the IP of the network, but otherwise this is verbatim (the
actual IP does not even slightly resemble a 216 IP). Also, although this
is apparently provided by CentOS with mysql support, I don't actually
use mysql, this is all via plain files. The system is opteron-based,
which of course means it works with either 32 bit or 64 bit software:

# postconf -n
postconf: /usr/lib64/mysql/libmysqlclient.so.14: no version information
available (required by postconf)
alias_database = hash:/etc/aliases
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug_peer_level = 2
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
mail_owner = postfix
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq.postfix
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
mydestination = $myhostname, localhost.$mydomain, localhost, $mydomain,
mail.$mydomain, www.$mydomain
mynetworks = 1.2.3.4/32, 127.0.0.0/8
mynetworks_style = host
myorigin = $mydomain
queue_directory = /var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix-2.2.10/README_FILES
relay_domains = mail.$mydomain
setgid_group = postdrop
unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

>"% egrep '(warning|error|fatal|panic):' /some/log/file | more" is
>popular on the postfix lists to grep through for errors.

The original error posted was the only one shown in the mail log, or
related to email.

>http://archives.neohapsis.com/archives/postfix/2003-06/0141.html
>indicates that postfix things 216.239.113.148 is local to your box,
>and to use "inet_interfaces = all" as a simple solution.

My question is how in the heck would it think that is my local box if
there was no subnet even remotely similar to that, and no configuration
has ever contained anything remotely similar? I'm thinking it has to be
a result of some external attempt to use that IP.

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net