[lug] "Simple" mail MTA setup?

Phil Rasch pjr at phaedrus.cgd.ucar.edu
Fri Jan 5 08:43:07 MST 2007

I have been watching with interest the questions and advice the blug
have been giving to D. Stimits. It is great to see people willing to
help each other and the amount of expertise within the group.

Maybe somebody can help me with a vaguely related project.

I want to configure an MTA that does the following:

1) accepts mail only from localhost
2) forwards the mail on to an smtp server which I will call the
   smarthost for the rest of this email.
3) uses SSL or TLS to encrypt the transactions
4) can supply a password and username to the smarthost for verification.
5) DOES NOT INDICATE THE IP NUMBER THAT THE MAIL ORIGINATES FROM IN
   THE HEADER BUT IDENTIFIES IT AS ORIGINATING FROM THE SMARTHOST.
6) is fully configured in 5 minutes
7) supports queueing of mail

A bit of explanation of the requirements is in order.

I want this for home machines and particularly a laptop I travel
with.

I need item 5 because a number of groups that I mail to use blacklists,
and my broadband provider for my house is comcast. My mail is
occasionally trashed because of my mail originating from a
number in the comcast ip block.

I have tried many of the standard MTA software (postfix, exim,
sendmail, qmail) etc. I have spent hours trying these, only to find
that the IP number gets encoded in the headers, and my mail is
rejected by some small number of destinations. It is definitely not
trivial to set them up anyway.

My current solution is to use msmtp or esmtp, which are truely trivial
to get working. The only problem with them is the queuing issue.
The transaction takes place in real time. So I can't do mail while the
laptop is disconnected, and need to wait while the transaction is
negotiated even when it is connected, which is occasionally
mildly annoying.

Of course I can avoid all of this if I use an MUA that works with the
smarthost directly (thunderbird, kmail, etc). But I like to use mutt,
and even occasionally mailx, or formail, and also I want system
notifications, and various PHP scripts looking for sendmail to work as
well.

There is probably some magic incantations of one of the sophisticated
MTAs I mention above, but there is no way that I can get it without
a lot of work. Maybe one of you can give me the incantation? Or make
another suggestion?

Thanks

Phil