[lug] odd postfix message...relay attempt?

Andrew Diederich andrewdied at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:07:34 MST 2007

Tuesday, January 2, 2007, 7:48:57 PM, Stimits wrote:

>>>postfix/sendmail[2868]: fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local
>>>interface found for 216.239.113.148
>>>postfix[2869]: fatal: parameter inet_interfaces: no local interface found for 216.239.113.148

The postfix/sendmail part of the log message looks like the sendmail
portion of postfix.  You're using mynetworks_style=host, which means
that only the host machine is allowed to forward mail.

mynetworks = 1.2.3.4/32, 127.0.0.0/8
mynetworks_style = host

Ah, but since you also specified mynetworks, postfix ignores
mynetworks_style:  http://www.postfix.org/BASIC_CONFIGURATION_README.html
and just goes with your list in mynetworks.

> FYI, no interface has ever been configured even remotely similar to the
> 216 address, although it does have 3 interfaces, and for part of the
> time it was just pointed at one of them. The last time this showed up
> was several days ago, it has not shown up since, and I have done some
> changes since then. I just wonder how it got that IP unless it was a
> result of some remote trigger.

I really think the postfix/sendmail item in the log file means it's
coming from the local sendmail (postfix's sendmail, of course) binary.
http://www.postfix.org/OVERVIEW.html has an overview of how the
processes interact, and sendmail is only used by local, or the host
itself.

Have you also checked /etc/postfix/master.cf?  It's easily overlooked
(at least by me) since you usually just set it up once, then do
everything else in /etc/postfix/main.cf.

<rest snipped>

--
Best regards,
 Andrew