[lug] "Simple" mail MTA setup?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Fri Jan 5 22:22:30 MST 2007

Phil Rasch wrote:
[...]
> 5) DOES NOT INDICATE THE IP NUMBER THAT THE MAIL ORIGINATES FROM IN
>    THE HEADER BUT IDENTIFIES IT AS ORIGINATING FROM THE SMARTHOST.
[...]
> I need item 5 because a number of groups that I mail to use blacklists,
> and my broadband provider for my house is comcast. My mail is
> occasionally trashed because of my mail originating from a
> number in the comcast ip block.

Really?!  The appropriate way to send mail from a dynamic IP like the
one Comcast gives you is to relay through their smart host.  That only
works if the blacklists block the sending MTA, not any IP in the
received headers.

Can you say more (perhaps provide a bounce) that shows that behavior?  I
would think that it's a bad practice and it would be interesting to know
who is doing it and why.

Dave