[lug] iptables redirection

George Sexton gsexton at mhsoftware.com
Sun Jan 7 11:05:37 MST 2007

Hugh Brown wrote:

> I thought that with tomcat 5 there was a jsvc wrapper that would allow
> you to bind on port 80 and then drop privileges (this is vague
> memories off reading some brief documentation).
Thanks. I looked at jsvc, and it seems to be the least of all evils. It
lets me bind to port 80 without having to be root.

> Would the overhead of Apache/mod_jk be less than changing the code?
> With tomcat 4, I believe apache/mod_jk is the approach people use for
> allowing tomcat to run unprivileged while still retaining the benefit
> of running on privileged ports.
I'm running a really specialized application, where Apache/mod_jk would
just be pure overhead. It would be simpler and more efficient to just
remove the requirement from the kernel, and run a custom kernel.