[lug] ssh login error

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sun Jan 7 18:49:05 MST 2007

There is an sshd error sometimes occuring on logins to a centos 4.4
server. The error shows up in several google searches, but I'm at a loss
figuring out why it is happening. The error showing up in /var/log/secure:
error: openpty: No such file or directory
error: session_pty_req: session 0 alloc failed

It does not always occur. For a long time I had it stopped by using bash
login, whereas it had failed more often under tcsh before. I can remove
the init files of the shell, and it still happens, though less often. I
can create pty's via MAKEDEV, it still happens. There was one hint that
if I add to the kernel boot line:
devfs=mount
...that it would fix it, but I have the fstab entry:
none     /dev/pts    devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0

So this should not matter, and if it did, it should always be a problem,
not mysteriously showing up some days but not others. I have all of the
ptys, and I have the devpts mount line. sshd is kept up to date. The
kernel is the stock centos 4.4 kernel with yum update. Can anyone
suggest what the source of this problem is? I know it can't make a pty,
I guess I'm wondering how that could even happen. I'm a bit frustrated
by it, and despite how painful it would be, I'm tempted to just
reinstall using fedora instead (the server has been up for a month, and
I had thought it was about ready).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net