[lug] "Simple" mail MTA setup?

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Tue Jan 9 00:34:00 MST 2007

On Sat, Jan 06, 2007 at 02:17:30AM -0700, Jeremy Hinegardner wrote:
>> 6) is fully configured in 5 minutes
>
>Uh, probably unreasonable :-)

Yeah.  Even vPostMaster, which is 1 command to install, you will need to
set up accounts and tune anti-spam settings.  And, as far as I know, it's
by far the easiest mail server to set up, unless you're willing to live
without anti-spam/anti-virus and the like.

Setting up and maintaining a mail server is not something I'd recommend for
someone who wants to spend 5 minutes on it.  Mail servers are not simple
things, and require regular maintenance.  I average probably an hour or two
a week maintaining ours for 5 users.

If you only have 5 minutes to set it up, use gmail or yahoo or something.

>don't know how this will affect the Received from headers as I have
>never done this, but it could be an option to look at.

It will add Received headers, but there will not be an IP address in them.
You can probably get rid of this, but it'd take me more than 5 minutes to
figure out how.  :-)

Sean
--
 We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.
                 -- Oscar Wilde