[lug] apt-get dist-upgrade errors

Sean Reifschneider jafo at tummy.com
Wed Jan 10 06:17:07 MST 2007

On Tue, Jan 09, 2007 at 11:01:49PM -0700, David Morris wrote:
>Hmm, I actually rather loath yum.  I *intensely* dislike the
>fact that it automatically updates its package list before
>you can do *any* action with it.  If it cannot find any

That's the default, yes...  If you specify "yum -C", it runs entirely from
cache.  Using popt you could, for example, make it so that "-C" is the
default if you run "search" but not -C if you run update, for example.

>of yum becomes useless.  apt-get separates the actions of
>updating the package list and all other actions so that it

Yeah, which also has the opposite problem: When I want to do an install I
have to remember to do the update command before or I may be missing
packages or not getting the latest versions, depending on when the last
update was done...

>I realize this could all probably be changed in the system
>configuration, but on the systems in question we are not
>allowed to change config settings.

popt is a dot-file, and -C is an argument, so nothing I'd call a config
change is required to resolve this.

Sean
--
 I'm addicted to placebos.