Booting from 8GB USB flash memory sticks? (was RE: [lug] Next Install Fest)

siegfried siegfried at heintze.com
Wed Jan 10 11:44:42 MST 2007

I just had another thought: I've been google searching for the procedure to
boot from a USB flash memory stick. I think this would be an extremely
useful thing to do. Does anyone know how to do this? I have a few links I'm
currently reading up on that I have found by google searching and posting
queries in forums. Someone in some forum explained that FC6 requires 7GB. I
just found some 8GB flash memory USB sticks for $100. 16GB and 32GB sticks
are available for more $.

Would this be a topic for a monthly meeting or an install fest? Has anyone
done this? I would love to have a meeting where we have a presentation on
booting from a USB memory stick followed by a laboratory exercise where we
all configure our computers to boot from our own flash memory sticks.

Siegfried

On Behalf Of Chris Riddoch