[lug] Permissions

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Jan 11 15:49:36 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 07:56:06AM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> what about "newgrp svn" and then "touch test"

Yes, that works if I'm logged in and working at the console, but it doesn't
solve my problem since what's happening is that I'm committing subversion
revisions over ssh and getting:

>svn ci -m c
Sending        professional/file1.txt
Sending        professional/file2.txt
Transmitting file data ..svn: Commit failed (details follow):
svn: Can't create directory
'/var/lib/subversion/mydocs/db/transactions/945-1.txn': Permission denied

> also, does "test" already exist (with restrictive perms)?

No, the ls output I gave was complete.  It's an empty directory.

> if the first <...> from groups is more than 255 chars, you have to use
> newgrp to get the system to accept your membership to that group

Here is the full "groups" output:

webb dialout cdrom floppy audio www-data video model janet stor photo wedding
mount network music anycvs svn margi laura sbs

The group "svn" is near the end, but not 255 characters.

I found this with "linux maximum groups" with Google:

http://www-1.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=984&uid=swg21207807

says 16 groups is the maximum for RPC (this is a NIS master, does that mean I'm
using RPC?) and svn is the 17th group.

However,

http://www.linux-tutorial.info/modules.php?name=Tutorial&pageid=321

says that 32 groups is the default, but maybe that's a system limit and not
RPC limit?

I found surprisingly few results for that search.  Is it really that uncommon
to have users that belong to more than 16 groups?  Just the Debian groups I
use for this user make 7 groups.  Not all those groups are critical, so I'll
just remove some groups, but I'm surprised at this limitation.