[lug] Personal Server Behind DSL Router

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 16:20:18 MST 2007

I want to setup a linux mail,web,dns server with
iptables firewall behind my dsl router.

It will not be heavily trafficked and is purely for
personal use and half just for the fun of the project.

I was wondering if a server like this is possible if
all of these services live on a box with a nonpublic
ip address "behind" a router?

I've portfowarded ssh access to this box on the router
in the past from the outside world.

So the question is can I portforward services for
mail, dns and apache as well and then setup my dns so
that outside lookups on www.domain.com and
mail at domain.com actually resolve through dns that
lives behind my router (dns would have to point to my
router public address) and my web and mail services
function correctly?

I'm not sure but I think inbound requests will
probably work.  I'm more concerned about NAT'ing the
service replies on the way out since they have no
public identities.