[lug] Dup linux and win boot drives to bigger replacement drives

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 11 16:59:11 MST 2007

> I have had good luck with partimage
> <http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page>
> for things like this. It can also be used to 'back
> up' the system with a
> snapshot of the current partitions.

> My practice is to boot from SystemRescueCd
> <http://www.sysresccd.org/>
> and then copy to an external drive via USB or
> another system running
> partimaged.

I guess I'll have to read those sites.  have you used
these techniques on WIN (not just linux)?

I don't have a USB port on the linux system and it's
old enough where i don't really want to go buy a usb
card for it.  Since the drives are currently scsi
based, could i just plug the ide drive i want to be my
boot drive into one of the IDE controllers and dup the
boot scsi drive to the ide drive with these tools?

also, since i would be duping a smaller boot drive to
a larger drive, would that prevent me from using all
of the drive space on the larger drive?  I'm thinking
that a drive dup dupes the partition table and the
partition itself?  So how does one get around that?

thanks