[lug] Holy Grail Book Recommendations

Ted Logan ted.logan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 11 18:17:13 MST 2007

On 1/11/07, Chip Atkinson <chip at pupman.com> wrote:
> TCP/IP Illustrated, volume 1, by Stevens.  Not linux necessarily, but
> after you read it, you know *how* the protocols work which gives you a
> tremendous leg up in debugging all sorts of thigns from name servers, web,
> dhcp, etc.

I love my copy of _TCP/IP Illustrated, Volume 1_, but due to its age,
its coverage of newer protocols is lacking. It covers BOOTP instead of
DHCP, and doesn't cover HTTP or SSH. I'm sure I could come up with
more examples if I tried. (Although HTTP is the super-protocol that
subsumed most other interesting protocols.) Does a book of the same
caliber exist that covers newer protocos?

--
Ted Logan
Software Engineer
ted.logan at gmail.com