[lug] Personal Server Behind DSL Router

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Jan 11 19:53:45 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 08:47:00PM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> I had used horde/imp for a time and a friend was using squirrelmail.  I
> tried out squirrelmail and it was configured in about 5 minutes.
> horde/imp had taken me a couple hours.

I evaluated most of them a few years ago when I was unhappy with squirrelmail.
My impression of imp was that it might be good for a university but a royal
pain for a hobbyist.  It could be easier now, that was several years ago.

> I'm going to go look at IlohaMail though.  squirrelmail is spartan, but
> it's really only meant to make it easy to check mail when I don't have
> ssh access (and for family).

I only use webmail casually too, I use mutt if I have a ssh client available.
It would be interesting to hear opinions from anyone who uses any of them
heavily.  I think if you use webmail as more than a backup the correct answer
is "gmail".