[lug] Personal Server Behind DSL Router

Jeff Schroeder jeff at zingstudios.com
Thu Jan 11 20:14:50 MST 2007

Hugh asked:

> Anyone have a gui/thick mail client that they absolutely love?

KMail has my vote.

I'm a longtime KDE user, so naturally I gravitated to KMail.  I had been
using Netscape Mail on WindowMaker for years (Thunderbird is sleeker
and better, but this was Back in the Day) and decided to give KMail a
go, and haven't looked back.

It offers tight integration with the rest of the KDE family of apps,
supports awesome filtering capabilities so I can file incoming mail
into a hundred different areas, and generally does everything I need
and then some.  It can be used by the most basic e-mail newbie (like my
five-year-old son) but still has the power to do crazy regexp rule
matching for a power user like me.  It has nice searching,
including "virtual folders" (in fact it had them before they were all
the rage).

Hugh mentioned that client-side IMAP filtering isn't supported, and that
may be true-- I don't use IMAP so I don't know.  But I'd say if anyone
is using KDE and hasn't given KMail an honest go, they really should.
Heck, even the GNOME crowd should take a look, because it seems much
better than Evolution (although I admit my experience there was limited
to "I'll try it for a day to see if it sucks").

$0.02.
Jeff