[lug] Personal Server Behind DSL Router

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Jan 11 20:18:44 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 09:05:27PM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> We've had this discussion at work a number of times.  The current
> generation of college freshman seemed to have come of age with email
> equating to yahoo, hotmail, gmail, and the like.  We offer IMAP support
> and a webmail client and a large proportion of the students use webmail
> exclusively.  If I had to use webmail exclusively, I'd stop using email.

Yeah, no kidding.  I can't believe how clumsy it is compared to
mutt/(vim/emacs) or even Thunderbird.  Gmail is a bit better, but loading a
new web page for each action like with all the Free webmail servers is beyond
my patience level.

> I use mutt when away from thunderbird and webmail when away from both.
> We've also had the work discussion where email clients just suck all
> together (spawned by the mutt tagline, "All mail clients suck. This one
> just sucks less.").

Mutt mostly sucks if you need to do graphical things, although with the right
mailcap and muttrc it can handle those things fairly well too.  For text-only
email, I wouldn't even say mutt sucks, I'd say it's passable.  I've never
tried a GUI mail client that I liked much.  Thunderbird is my favorite if I
have to pick one.