[lug] Permissions

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Thu Jan 11 20:48:23 MST 2007

Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 08:18:20PM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:
>
>> NIS implies rpc.  If you are logging into the nis master, then it
>> depends on what your nsswitch.conf says as to whether or not you are
>> doing authorization against files or nis.
>
> Well, nsswitch says "group: files nis" and this is happening on the NIS
> master, so I guess the Linux limit is also 16 groups?

I decided to play around.  I'm using a debian etch box and created
enough groups for me to be in 33 of them (I'm using local
authorization).  I made a directory owned by root and the 33rd group
with 770 perms.  Without the use of newgrp I was able to "touch foo"
from the console and do ssh host "touch /local/test/foo2" and it didn't
give me any grief.  I'm guessing it's a limitation of NIS.  If you cared
to try and get to the bottom of this, you could try using strace on the
svn command to see if you could tell where the getgid call was falling down.

Hugh