[lug] Personal Server Behind DSL Router

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Thu Jan 11 21:37:47 MST 2007

> I typically don't run iptables on a box like this because all the
> services it provides are public.  So there isn't anything for iptables
> to block (obviously there are some other useful things iptables can do).

Why wouldn't you firewall each machine?  This provides an additional
layer of protection for your server in case another machine in your
internal network is compromised (ie: your visiting relative that wants
to use their spyware filled XP laptop at the house). Given the small
memory footprint and simplicity of setting up something like shorewall I
can't see why not to turn it on..

-Ken