[lug] Aptitude

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Jan 11 23:37:55 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 10:11:50PM -0700, David L. Anselmi wrote:

> But I wouldn't worry about it.  You can get a list of recommends that
> aren't installed when you upgrade things.  And if you don't notice it's
> missing, who cares?  I do sometimes notice things being recommended that
> I don't want (like FAM) and cancel them, though.

It was a short enough list that I just went through by hand and checked.  I
have noticed that occasionally an important feature of a package requires a
"Recommends" package because there are also uses of the package where you
wouldn't want that feature.  I don't have an example offhand, but I've seen it
a few times.  I remember a few times having problems with things installed via
apt-get and tracing it back to a missing "Recommends" package since apt-get
doesn't install them by default.