[lug] Dup linux and win boot drives to bigger replacement drives

D. Frye dafr at dafr.us
Fri Jan 12 07:10:48 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 11, 2007 at 03:59:11PM -0800, karl horlen wrote:
}
} > I have had good luck with partimage
} > <http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page>
} > for things like this. It can also be used to 'back
} > up' the system with a
} > snapshot of the current partitions.
}
} > My practice is to boot from SystemRescueCd
} > <http://www.sysresccd.org/>
} > and then copy to an external drive via USB or
} > another system running
} > partimaged.
}
} I guess I'll have to read those sites.  have you used
} these techniques on WIN (not just linux)?

I have replaced the hard drive on a dual boot laptop with XP
running a NTFS filesystem and Linux without hitch.

} I don't have a USB port on the linux system and it's
} old enough where i don't really want to go buy a usb
} card for it.  Since the drives are currently scsi
} based, could i just plug the ide drive i want to be my
} boot drive into one of the IDE controllers and dup the
} boot scsi drive to the ide drive with these tools?

If you have a network port and a second system that you can
install the daemon on, that would serve your needs. To get
the data back to the new drive, I started up NFS and pulled
the partition image files back over.

} also, since i would be duping a smaller boot drive to
} a larger drive, would that prevent me from using all
} of the drive space on the larger drive?  I'm thinking
} that a drive dup dupes the partition table and the
} partition itself?  So how does one get around that?

I don't know the mechanics behind the application, but I
suspect that cpio (or similar) is used to extract data only
for archive. My experience was a hard drive upgrade as well
and there were no issues beyond making sure the new partition
table was laid out the way I wanted it.

--

D. Frye
dafr at dafr.us