[lug] NIS hang

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Fri Jan 12 21:27:23 MST 2007

Daniel Webb wrote:
> I am new to NIS, and can't figure out why it hangs "su" when my network goes
> down.  This my nsswitch.conf:
>
> passwd:         files nis
> group:          files nis
> shadow:         files nis
>
> hosts:          files dns nis
> networks:       files
>
> protocols:      files db
> services:       files db
> ethers:         files db
> rpc:            files db
> ----
>
> and there are entries in /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow for root.  So why does
> "su" hang?  This is irritating, because it means a reboot if whatever was
> wrong requires root to fix.

pam is likely the culprit.  It tries to query nis for the root account
and then goes off to the bitbucket bar.  I have memories of needing a
"compat" in nsswitch.conf but that may have been from rh 6.x and 7.x.

I'd look at pam.  I do remember rh having a problem with ldap, the local
root account and a hang.  Can you open up a terminal, su - to root then
stop nis to test w/o having a lockup?

Hugh