[lug] NIS hang

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sat Jan 13 11:59:36 MST 2007

Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 10:27:23PM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:
>
>> pam is likely the culprit.  It tries to query nis for the root account
>> and then goes off to the bitbucket bar.  I have memories of needing a
>> "compat" in nsswitch.conf but that may have been from rh 6.x and 7.x.
>
> You may be right, but why would pam do that?  I told it to look in files
> before nis, and the root stuff is all in the files.

Yep, that's why sysadmins have jobs and no hair.  I don't know the
calling order of the resolver libraries and pam.  I do know that even
with files listed first (and with nis or ldap listed second), that pam
can mess things up.  So I'd try and make sure pam is straightened out
pam has always felt like voodoo which can be poked and made to work, but
I've often worried that I'm exposing myself unnecessarily and that if I
really understood pam, that I could do amazing things.

good luck

Hugh