[lug] Postfix/cron interaction

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sat Jan 13 13:52:40 MST 2007

I have postfix error messages like this:

Jan 13 13:28:19 sly postfix/sendmail[13935]: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf:
	parameter mail_owner: unknown user name value: postfix

only when cron tries to send email.  I can use the "mail" program, and I can
even send an email by piping it raw to "sendmail" and both work fine with no
errors.

$ id postfix
uid=114(postfix) gid=116(postfix) groups=116(postfix)

Is this related to NIS?  My hunch is that cron's environment is missing
something needed to lookup the user, but what?