[lug] setting subversion permissions with apache/mod_dav

D. Stimits stimits at comcast.net
Sat Jan 13 19:07:45 MST 2007

I'm working on a subversion repository on CentOS 4.4, and finally got
past some of the SElinux problems. Now it is able to be read from over a
web browser on https, and it properly asks for a user name and pass via
basic auth (non-SSL can't reach that URL).

Here's the oddball problem: Using a command line client, it allows total
access without caring about user name/pass. It requires user name and
pass only from a web browser, but not from the svn client. Here's the
config:

<Location /svn>
   Options Indexes MultiViews
   AllowOverride None
   Order deny,allow
   DAV svn
   SVNParentPath /var/www/svn
   SSLRequireSSL
   AuthType Basic
   AuthName "Subversion Repository"
   AuthUserFile /etc/passwd-httpd
   AuthGroupFile /etc/group-httpd
   Require group devel
</Location>

Has anyone here ever set up an svn repository under apache mod_dav, to
require a password? How did you get the svn client to prompt for user
name and password? I even deleted all the temp files from
~/.subversion/auth/svn.ssl.server, and all working copies, so there is
no chance of it having memorized a name and pass (and in fact the user
name I'm using on the remote machine is different than the name on the
server). If I can block access to anyone not having a proper login
name/pass, it'll be ready for use (at the moment IP tables blocks all IP
addresses except for mine).

D. Stimits, stimits AT comcast DOT net