[lug] Who is listening?

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Sun Jan 14 18:44:17 MST 2007

Daniel Webb wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 14, 2007 at 08:55:17AM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:
>
>> 2049 is usu. nfs.  i'm guessing the rest are rpc related,
>> rpcinfo -p localhost
>> will give you all the port/process info for localhost.
>
> Sure enough, that's the case.  Thanks for the tip.  Are those PIDs not showing
> up in netstat because nfs is at the kernel level and not user space?

As noted before, some don't show up unless you run netstat as root.
Some of the rpc stuff does not show up in netstat, I'd never explored
why.  The kernel space vs. user space seems plausible.  The only two
processes that don't show up in my netstat are nfs (which is kernel
based on my system) and nlockmgr (which I assume is either running from
lockd or in the kernel).

Does anyone know definitively (he asks w/o searching the web or doing
anything but reading the -p portion of the netstat man page)?

Hugh