[lug] remote x display

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jan 16 13:42:14 MST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 12:48 -0700, Aaron.Facey at seagate.com wrote:
> Was wondering what people are using to display a Linux desktop on XP? Using
> graphons goglobal product but looking for alternatives.

Cygwin, Cygwin/X and XFce, all running under WinXP under VMWare Server.
Lightweight but has the basic features I need.  I haven't tried things
like printing since I don't need printing from there.  I usually ssh
into my Linux box from there to do cut and paste stuff under that
environment from my Linux session because, although cut/paste from Linux
to VMWare works, it doesn't work if I go between Cygwin/X under WinXP
under VMWare to Linux.

Of course, I had to build XFce myself.  Mostly easy, a few hickups along
the way.  Not a process for the non-developer types, however.

Or did you mean how to display an entire Linux desktop (running on
Linux) on a WinXP system?  That I haven't tried.  No need to since I
don't use WinXP much, and then only under VMWare.  But something tells
me you could probably do it with Cygwin/X and setting your DISPLAY
variable under your Linux login to the remote WinXP server.  The only
problem with that is display dimensions could be different and can muck
up positioning of elements in your desktop when run under Linux.

Anyway, good luck.
--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org