[lug] FS type question

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 16 19:55:41 MST 2007

I've just installed an WD IDE drive into a system.  It
used to belong to someone else.

When I fdisk it it shows that the FS type is NTFS:

Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id
System
/dev/hda1               1       14593   117218241    7
 HPFS/NTFS

However, when i try to mount the FS as ntfs it doesn't
work:

#mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/hda1,
       missing codepage or other error

If I mount the drive as ext3 it mounts!  And it
actually works!  I duped about 80 G of drive data over
my  network to another drive on a windows system
yesterday (it was slow but it worked!).

# mount -t ext3 /dev/hda1 /mnt/gentoo
# % df -Th /dev/hda1
Filesystem    Type    Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/hda1     ext3    111G  105G  4.1G  97%
/mnt/gentoo

Any reason why this might be so?

It looks like the partition id is just incorrect in
the partition table.  Is there anyway to update/change
it to reflect reality?  I believe this drive actually
has an ext2 or ext3 fs because it was used on linux
system prior to me obtaining it.  and of course, it
works mounted as ext3 ;-)

thanks