[lug] FS type question

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 17 14:25:34 MST 2007

> My conclusion is that the partition's Id label is
> incorrect.  I believe
> that fdisk allows you to change this value more or
> less arbitrarily.

Yeah, you can change it in fdisk.  I guess I thought
this had more significance/meaning then just a "pure
label".

I imagine it is there so that you can remind yourself
of what filesystem you actually write to the partition
after you create it when you fdisk it?  I always
thought linux simply read (was smart enough to) the
actual partition to figure out what filesystem had
been written to it.  In fact that's what df must do as
my example shows below (it reports it as how it's
mounted/formatted - ext3 versus how it's labelled in
fdisk)

I guess I'm kind of wondering at this point what use
this fdisk fs id serves?  It seems kind of pointless.