[lug] Determining if Lilo or Grub is current bootloader

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Wed Jan 17 17:50:36 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-17 at 17:36 -0700, Daniel Webb wrote:
> [OT] Is there any need for lilo any more?  Is there anything that lilo can do
> that grub can't do better?

LILO works when it doesn't know anything about the filesystem.  GRUB
requires a filesystem driver.

LILO works on RAID-1 mirrors.  GRUB does not, as far as I know.

LILO continues to work even when your /boot filesystem is fsck'd up.
I've seen GRUB fail to read the kernel and initrd off a sufficiently
corrupted partition.

Of course, I personally prefer GRUB, but you did ask. :)
--
Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>