[lug] Determining if Lilo or Grub is current bootloader

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Wed Jan 17 19:16:21 MST 2007

Lee Woodworth wrote:
> David L. Anselmi wrote:
>> Zan Lynx wrote:
>> [...]
>>> LILO works on RAID-1 mirrors.  GRUB does not, as far as I know.
>>
>> Ditto if your kernel is on LVM.

> You can use an initramfs for raid or LVM with grub.  I just finished
> setting up a machine where the root fs is on an LVM partition. I think
> the initramfs mechanism is more general than specialized code in the
> loader. You can make it handle the case of an LVM root fs on an encrypted
> volume on a sw raid if you really wanted to.

Oops. I thought you were referring to the root fs on LVM. I use a small
partition for /boot which has all the boot stuff. If you don't do that
then you have to use block lists for specifying the kernel and the initramfs
(via the initrd command). You would also have to embed the menu in
the grub boot sector.

So its technically doable, but painful to have everything but stage 1
on a weird fs on an LVM volume.