[lug] Server Partitioning Recommendation

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Thu Jan 18 22:12:17 MST 2007

On Thu, Jan 18, 2007 at 05:41:56PM -0800, karl horlen wrote:

> > Create two paritions on each of the drives.
> >   - 6GB for the system (spare system on the second
> > drive)
> >   - the rest is for a soft RAID which will be /home.
> > Put LVM on the RAID device and format ext3.
>
> I assume that when you put LVM on RAID1, the LV is
> mirrored automatically on the mirror with no need for
> any re configuration on the mirrore drive?

The RAID1 is below the level of LVM (the RAID device is the LVM physical
volume), so LVM is irrelevant to the behavior of the RAID (in other words, I
think the answer to your question is "yes").

I've always heard of putting RAID below LVM, not the other way around.

Ideally, everything should be on a RAID device, but I keep 6GB out of the RAID
and put the system on that 6GB because I'm afraid I'll mess something up and
not be able to boot.  My fear is probably out of date now, but it wasn't 3-4
years ago when I started doing that.