[lug] mp3 jukebox

Daniel Webb lists at danielwebb.us
Sat Jan 20 15:28:40 MST 2007

On Sat, Jan 20, 2007 at 09:26:10AM -0600, Hugh Brown wrote:

> I've never used one, but if I had the money, I'd look at getting a
> squeezebox (www.slimdevices.com).  If I had lots of extra money, then
> I'd look at getting https://secure.slimdevices.com/order/index.cgi? the
> ReadyNAS bundle.  Though I'd probably build a mythbox if I had $1500
> kicking around.

I am very happy with my current jukebox setup, which was inspired by a
response to a post on this list:

I run slimserver on my headless VNC/application server (big honking tower case
that is currently in the entertainment case but will eventually probably go in
a closet) which has lots of drives attached.  I use my old Thinkpad 600Es for
the audio devices by running softsqueeze on them (a real squeezebox would be
much nicer if you've got the money).  All the softsqueeze instances can be
controlled through a web interface, and since all my laptops are running VNC
to the app server, that makes control of any of the players from anywhere
trivial.  It's all over wireless of course, which hasn't been a problem except
that it makes synchronization (having two different players play exactly the
same audio) less reliable.

The real squeezeboxes have very good audio, but my junk speakers don't deserve
that anyway.  I usually listen to good headphones plugged directly into the
laptop while working, and this setup lets me listen to my music the same way
from anywhere (even outside my LAN using OpenVPN).