[lug] How to purchase a dual (linux/windows) boot machine

Ken MacFerrin lists at macferrin.com
Mon Jan 22 22:01:22 MST 2007

> How can I prevent this from happening again?

I would recommend one of three options..

1) Spec and build the system yourself. I'm confident that if you
provided this list with the specs you're looking for you'd get plenty of
assistance in choosing parts that have reliable linux support.  From
there, assembling a PC these days isn't much harder (maybe simpler?)
than an advanced lego set.

2) Do a little research on linux supported hardware and then buy a
pre-built Windows PC that fits your needs.  Take this to the next blug
or clue installfest and *poof*.. you'll have dual boot.

3) Buy a computer from a reputable dealer with a proven reputation for
building linux systems.  I know several folks that have ordered dual
boot systems from builders such www.monarchcomputer.com without issue
and received support for both their linux and windows installations.

I honestly believe lawyer would be a waste of your money for something
like this.  At $200+/hr you can save the money for more RAM. Any good
online or local dealer should be able to provide you a written quote
including hardware, OS and support specs of what you're putting down
your money for.
-Ken