[lug] How to purchase a dual (linux/windows) boot machine

Collins Richey crichey at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 22:02:49 MST 2007

On 1/22/07, Siegried Heintze <siegfried at heintze.com> wrote:

>  I just had a prospective client tell me I might need to supply my own
> notebook computer to work 1099.
>
> For my work, I need to be able to work with both windows and linux.
>
> begin horror story...

[ woeful tale snipped ]

Hmm, I've never considered dual booting to be a big deal.

1) By a fairly current laptop (the Thinkpads now Lenovo) units had
good Linux compatibility. Make sure you have enough disk space for
both environments. Minimum 512M memory.

2) Get a copy of Kubuntu/Ubuntu/Xubuntu ( I prefer the alternate
installer rather than LiveCD) Dapper or Edgy.

3) Windows defrag the disk

4) use the Ubuntu installer to shrink the Windows NTFS to make space for Linux.

5) Install Ubuntu.

6) Some tinkering may be needed for wireless.

7) Enjoy.

--
Collins Richey