[lug] Linux Logic - Where do Files Go?

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Jan 23 09:00:21 MST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 18:53 -0700, Bill Thoen wrote:
> I've noticed that RH/Fedora Core has its own opinions as to where things
> go, but why do they often deviate from the original developer's defaults?
> What reasons do people use for putting files where they do?

Short answer:  they follow the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard
(http://www.pathname.com/fhs/) and/or the Linux Standards Base
(http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/LSB).  Major Linux distributors
follow these standards, though interpretation of the standards is
sometimes different.

--
Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org