[lug] Fedora Core 5 not playing CDs

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Wed Jan 24 14:47:24 MST 2007

On Wed, 2007-01-24 at 13:04 -0800, Shawn Baland wrote:
> Hi all, a newbie here.  I installed fc5 (with Gnome) and updated it.
> It was playing audio CDs automatically with Totem, but now I am
> getting an error message when I insert a CD:
>
> "Totem could not play this media (Audio CD) although a plugin is
> present to handle it."

FC5/FC6 recently updated a bunch of media handling tools and removed
their ability to play many common files, including DVDs and (I believe)
MP3s.  I went through this recently with trying to play DVDs with Xine.
First, you have some updates to make using the correct repositories.
Then, make sure you have your drive using the correct drive (re: ide-cd
instead of scsi).  The latter problem will cause your DVDs to stop
playing after about half the movie due to seek errors.  Not sure if the
ide-cd issue is related to the changes to media tools in FC5/FC6, but I
know I had to fix it after fixing the media tools issues.

Anyway, the process isn't hard but I don't want to write it up again, so
I'll just point you to my blog where I wrote it up:
http://www.graphics-muse.org/wp/?p=150

The thread that helped me solve it is here:

Michael J. Hammel                                    Senior Software Engineer
mjhammel at graphics-muse.org                           http://graphics-muse.org