[lug] Migration from raw partitoins to LVM2 (hopefully)

D. Frye dafr at dafr.us
Fri Jan 26 12:47:18 MST 2007

All,

I'm upgrading my dual boot laptop to a larger hard drive where there is
currently no LVM in place. So far, I haven't found any FAQ or HOWTO that
addresses this and I'm looking for someone with either experience or
more information that I currently have to complete this.

Basic steps include leaving /boot, the XP, and common FAT partitions on
raw disk slices, and then create a single physical volume on the last
partition with the rest of the available disk. Then the plan is to use
SystemRescueCd and partimage to restore the partition images to the new
LVM logical volumes before mucking around with initrd and grub.

Odds are pretty good that I can fumble through this on my own, but I'd
prefer to avoid the frustration if I can find a source that has
performed this work already.

Any information or other suggestions for such a migration would be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
David