[lug] Musical Device IDs?

David L. Anselmi anselmi at anselmi.us
Mon Jan 29 20:32:51 MST 2007

David Morris wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 29, 2007 at 03:39:58PM -0700, Zan Lynx wrote:
>> The newer kernels are using hotplug dynamic device
>> discovery, and adding multi-threaded bus probing in the
>> future.  Might as well bite the bullet and accept that
>> drive letters will never be the same again.
>
> Ahh, that explains it.  Also gives the much needed keywords
> to search for in google to find more information.

Rather than Zan's method, I wanted my drive letters to be what I wanted.
  So I wrote udev rules to do that.  The thread starts here:

http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/Week-of-Mon-20061030/033100.html

and my solution to the problem is here:

http://archive.lug.boulder.co.us/Week-of-Mon-20061030/033115.html

But note that /proc/partitions records the original number/name
assignments even if udev changes them.  Then LILO uses the originals and
that makes it hard to get the MBR updated when needed, IIRC.  And LILO
doesn't currently work if there are /dev/dm-* devices present.

Good luck!

Dave