[lug] Grub Install

David Morris lists at morris-clan.net
Mon Jan 29 23:34:32 MST 2007

I have a new mission in life:  Find the person who dreamed
up randomly assigning device letters at boot (e.g. /dev/sda)
and kill him.

As I mentioned in the previous thread, my hard disks are
playing musical chairs with eachother.  Theoretically, the
fix is to use UUID's provided by udev.

Except LILO can't use them.  Only option in LILO is to edit
lilo.conf every single time lilo is rerun.  I am *not* going
to go through that nightmare!

Ok, install Grub.

Nice theory, but grub-install will not run.  It just hangs
and after about 20 minutes the system begins to get less and
less usable until eventually it crashes.  At least it leaves
lilo in the MBR so I can (with difficulty) boot up.

Any ideas on how to find out why grub-install refuses to
work?  Or how to convince LILO to use udev disk paths?

Typing in a 60-character device string every time I
want to boot my computer in less than half a dozen retries
is getting old *really* fast.

Especially when I loose the piece of paper with that
60-character string written on it.

--David