[lug] Weighting of factors and whatnot (a bit OT)

Hugh Brown hugh at math.byu.edu
Tue Jan 30 20:44:45 MST 2007

> But I really appreciate everyone's help!  Anybody got recommendations
> for books like "Really advanced math for people who grok calculus but
> suck at algebra"?

I've been doing just this investigation.  Unfortunately, it probably
means a text on linear algebra, ordinary differential equations,
mutlivariate calculus, and numerical methods/analysis.

I think the short answer is stop sucking at algebra (which means doing
lots of it, carefully).

I've had these recommendations made to me when asking about text(s) on
matrix theory as it applies to DSP/statistics/numerical analysis:

Linear Algebra with Applications (7th Edition) (Hardcover)
by Steven J. Leon  (though it was suggested to get the 5th or 6th
edition to save on costs)

Linear Algebra and Its Applications (Hardcover)
by Gilbert Strang

Numerical Linear Algebra for Applications in Statistics (Hardcover)
by James E. Gentle

I haven't explored the above, but I suspect I'll begin looking at those
and work from there.

Hugh