[lug] crontabs that don't run

karl horlen horlenkarl at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 1 23:48:42 MST 2007

Pardon if this is a dumb question.

I just updated an old system that would always run a
very LONG DISK INTENSIVE cron job DAILY every
afternoon.  You could tell because you could hear it
thrashing the disks.  I just got used to it and never
looked into what program was actually running but my
thought was that it was updatedb (slocate) or
something similar.

That system was shutdown every night and restarted
when it was used the next day.

The crontab ran cron.daily at 4:02 AM every morning.
cron.daily is where most of the db oriented cron
scripts like rpm and updatedb live.  Actually all the
cron stuff (weekly, montly, etc) is run at 4AM and
some minute offset.

My question is this.  If the system isn't turned on
during the time that cron.daily is configured to fire,
does that job just never get run or will it cue at a
DIFFERENT TIME the NEXT TIME you turn the computer on?

Cron should skip it I would think.  But if those
cron.dailys weren't getting rescheduled, what was
firing off those afternoon disk jobs that I always
heard?

thanks