[lug] keyboard mapping

shiloh connor shilohconnor at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 2 13:52:19 MST 2007

I've got a system that allows me to use a gnome applet called 'keyboard preferences' to enable both an English and Swedish keyboard layout in X.  I can switch back and forth between them and it does work.

The problem is that when I use the Swedish keyboard, there is no pipe (|) symbol anywhere on the layout that I can find.  I've tried every conceivable key sequence I can think of.  I eventually was able to find the greater and less than symbols hidden under RIGHT ALT + SH + z / x.  But that sequence is so convoluted it's not very useable.

I need the swedish keyboard layout because it provides various umlauted letters required of the language.  That part works fine.  However, if I want to do any shell commands that require piping or redirection I'm screwed.  I have to switch back to the US keyboard to get the pipe and convenient GT/LT signs.

I looked online but did not find anything that helped here.

I think part of the problem is that Swedes may actually use a different "physical" keyboard.  I can't remember.  When I try to map the Swedish layout to my standard US 101 keyboard, the pipe key don't get mapped for some reason.

In troubleshooting this, I had to play with all of the key combinations to find the available key maps.  Is there an applet or config file that allows you to visually see the keyboard character maps so you don't have to just guess?  Maybe those keys are there and I'm just missing the right sequence.

Is there anyway to map the pipe that doesn't exist and GT/LT characters to more convenient keys?

Is there a way to make the key maps stick so that they also work in consoles / ssh logins and not just under X?